The ThriveTime Challenge was launched in 2011 as a non-profit initiative between Pay Your Family First and Choices Educational Empowerment, a 501c3 organization. The Challenge is a state wide financial literacy initiative providing opportunities for high school students to learn important concepts related to managing money and time as well as the importance of charity and overall positive decision making in a fun and innovative manner.
How it works:
The challenge will begin with a competition in select high schools where students compete in a single round tournament playing the award winning, ThriveTime for Teens board game. This initiative will culminate during Financial Literacy month in April 2013 with winners from schools across the state competing in a multi-round competition at one location to be the second annual ThriveTime Challenge winner. Winners from the school and state competitions have the opportunity to win prizes ranging from $25 to $5,000.
School competitions last 1-2 hours and the state competition 4-5 hours
School competitions have flexible delivery options (during or after school)
Final number of rounds and state competition structure depends on number of participants
Game facilitators and volunteers provided where available
Participation is available at NO COST to schools and students
Benefit to Schools:
- Each school participating will receive a donation with minimum participation of 50 students
- Each new school participating will receive a classroom set of ThriveTime for Teens games
- Home schools of the top 3 state competition winners will receive $1,000
- Potential for PR/News coverage at the school
Benefit to Students:
The top winners from school competitions will receive prize money or a gift card/certificate and move on to state competition in April 2013
- The top 3 winners from the state competition will receive prizes ranging from $2,500 to $5,000.
- Students will learn valuable concepts related to financial education
Schedule your school’s competition today! Call Shelly Drews or Angela Totman at 480-607-1940 or connect via email at email@example.com
Quotes from Students:
Hello Shelly, My name is James Jessup I am a Jr (11th grade) at Skyline High school in Mesa Arizona , I spoke with you earlier about Thrive Time. I must say its a wonderful game and I enjoy playing it every time. This is my second year participating at the Thrive time challenge at Skyline High school. Im such a grateful student to have the opportunity to learn about managing money and un-expecting life changes. Thrive time is a game of choice and opportunity. No skill is required, which is another reason why I enjoy playing it. I play this game at home with my mom and dad, they think its a wonderful game to teach teenagers about life. Last year when I played this game for the first time at Skyline I came first in the school competition. As I advanced to state playing for my scholarship money, I was so honored cause not many kids have the privilege to play for Scholarship money. I got knocked out first in the tournament, but I did not loose hope. I knew "Pay your family first" would be coming back to skyline for another opportunity. The second time I competed in the school competition and placed 4th. Im looking forward to going to state and playing at Grand Canyon University. I thank Angela Totman the Director Of Operations for Pay Your Family First for letting me enjoy such a fun, exciting, life learning game.
Palo Verde High School Student Comments:
- I learned that living on your own can be expensive!
- I enjoyed being able to own a business.
- I learned life is not as easy as I think!
- I learned how fast money really gets spent!!
- It made me think about life!
- I learned how to spend money more wisely.
- I learned how to make decisions to earn more money.